The Top 5 Benefits of Vacuum Seal Bags
If you love finding new ways to save time and money in the kitchen, vacuum sealing is the way to go. These handy vacuum seal bags can store everything from fruits and vegetables to meat and poultry and help keep food fresh for longer. In addition, you can microwave or boil them, making meal prep a breeze. But if you’re new to food preservation, you might wonder what all the fuss is about.
Here are the top five benefits of vacuum sealing bags:
#1. Preserves Food Longer
Food stored in vacuum-sealed bags stays fresh longer than traditional storage containers. Using a vacuum sealer machine, it sucks the air out of the bag, preventing spoilage and maintaining food quality.
Vacuum seal bags are also an excellent way to store seasonal fruits and vegetables for use during the winter months. This modern storage solution prevents produce from spoiling while keeping it fresh.
Here are some facts about vacuum-sealed food:
- Foods like meat, which typically last about six months in the freezer, will last up to three years when vacuum sealed.
- Vacuum sealing helps prevent dehydration and freezer burn by creating an airtight seal around the food.
- The nutritional value and taste of foods are better preserved when vacuum-sealed.
- Vacuum sealing effectively prevents mold and bacterial infestation by removing oxygen, preventing chemical reactions that cause food to spoil.
#2. Saves You Money
You may think vacuum sealing could be a waste of money. You can, however, save more by taking advantage of buy-in-bulk deals and special giveaways without worrying about how you’ll keep them. Keep whatever you won’t be able to use right away in vacuum-sealed bags. Your food will stay fresh for months, and you will save more money in the long run. So, how do you seal them properly?
Here are some tips for an effective seal:
- Inspect and clean your machine: Before you attempt vacuum sealing food, clean the machine and replace any worn or damaged parts if there are any.
- Sanitize your hands and utensils: Make sure you clean your hands and utensils first before you handle your food.
- Use quality vacuum sealing bags: Choose sealer bags that are heavy-duty, BPA-free, and use FDA-approved plastic.
- Fold the opening area outside: When filling the bag, fold the 1 to 1.5 inches of the opening area so it remains clean and ready for sealing.
- Leave a gap between the sealing area and the food: Don’t overfill your bags; leave 2 to 3 inches of extra room for resealing.
#3. Efficient and Non-toxic
Unlike other preservation techniques, vacuum sealing doesn’t require preservatives that may negatively affect your food. Also, most quality vacuum sealer bags are BPA-free and use FDA-approved plastic, making them efficient for long-term food preservation.
Vacuum sealing allows you to cook hassle-free, especially for sous vide cooking. Sous vide is a type of cooking that involves sealing food in an airtight container, such as a vacuum sealed bag, and then cooking it in temperature-controlled water.
#4. Keeps Dehydrated Fruits Crispy
Air and moisture tend to destroy the crispiness of dehydrated fruits. Fortunately, vacuum sealer bags allow you to avoid this problem. Putting them in the bags keeps them crisp by creating a vacuum-sealed environment.
Sealer bags with zippers are recommended for use since they are easy to open and close. Thus, you are not obligated to eat the whole bag of dried fruits. Using oxygen absorbers when vacuum sealing is also recommended since dehydrated fruits have sharp edges and may puncture the bags if fully vacuumed.
#5. Retains Food’s Nutritional Value
Vacuum sealing food retains its nutritional value, flavor, texture, and moisture, so it stays delicious. But what causes food to lose its nutritional value in the first place? Heat, light, and oxygen can damage food’s nutrients. Thus, vacuum sealing them before storing them in your fridge prevents the loss of nutrients.
A vacuum sealing bag provides many benefits that make them an essential tool for any kitchen. They can help you save money by prolonging the shelf life of food, reducing spoilage, eliminating waste, and enabling you to easily seal and store leftovers or bulk items.
When it comes to finding the right bags for your kitchen, it can be tough to sift through all the different options on the market. However, a bit of research can help you pinpoint the quality vacuum seal bags for your needs.