Why hello there. Do you remember me? I used to run this blog.
Then I started a graduate job and it slowed down a little. Then I took on a second job (more on that in a second) and the blog came to a complete stand still.
I’m not really into the whole new year, new me business. Really you’re just setting yourself up for a fail.
However, a new year did seem like a good opportunity for re booting my little ol’ blog, and so here we are.
So about that second job? I’ve been developing recipes as well as styling them and taking photos.
Exciting right? It’s been stressful and tiring trying to do my job in marketing and freelance work, but in the end I’ve loved every minute and am so grateful for the opportunity.
The only downside is that whilst I’ve been cooking my little socks off in every spare minute I have, I’ve neglected the blog. And it’s my blog that got me the freelance work! Vicious circle.
Today it seems I have come full circle though, whilst I was digging around in the fridge trying to magic some dinner, I realised I had an abundance of green vegetables all about to turn. These vegetables came from various jobs and from me buying pretty looking produce in the greengrocers promising myself I’d photograph it for my portfolio.
This excess crop of vegetables gave birth to this beautiful, fresh and healthy soup.
The perfect way to welcome Mess Makes Food into 2015.
Best of all, it’s quick, simple and super adaptable.
Got some mushrooms in the bottom of the fridge? That’s fine, throw them in (I did).
Broccoli that you’re not sure how long it’s been in the freezer. In it goes (Guilty).
Do what you want, make it thick or thin, spicy or plain. You can’t go wrong.
Below is the basic recipe. Make it your own.
Ingredients Quick Asparagus, Pea and Spinach Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large bunch of asparagus (woody ends cut off and discarded, chopped into 1 inch pieces)
- 250g frozen peas
- 500ml vegetable stock (more or less depending on desired thickness)
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
Instructions Quick Asparagus, Pea and Spinach Soup
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Cook the onion for 2-3 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add the garlic, celery and asparagus, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the peas.
- Add the vegetable stock and leave to simmer over a medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Drop in the baby spinach and immediately take off the heat.This will help keep the colour.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Blend with a stick blender until smooth.
- Serve topped with pine nuts.